Why you should break up with your toxic shampoo
Except for the price what else do you look out for before buying a beauty product?
Not many of us look for harmful ingredients before buying a quality beauty item. Even the best of products contain certain harmful chemicals. Below are some chemicals found in almost every shampoo, the reasons why you should avoid them and ultimately why you should switch to our natural bars instead... Click here to see our full range.
Some harmful chemicals found in shampoo are:
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES):
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is perhaps the most dangerous ingredient found in shampoos and soaps. This detergent is widely used in garage floor cleaners, engine cleaners etc. it is used as a foaming agent in the shampoos. On the other hand Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) is the alcohol form of SLS. It is a higher-foaming variation of SLS. Though they share many properties yet SLES is less irritating than SLS.
Harmful effects of SLS and SLES:
• Damage the hair follicle and cause hair fall • Has protein denaturing properties which may cause skin inflammation • Threat to immune system • Enhances allergic response to other toxins • May cause cataracts in adults • May hinder in the proper development of children’s eyes.
Diethanolamine (DEA) or Triethonalamine (TEA):
Theses chemicals are used as wetting agents in a shampoo. They help to create a rich lather in a shampoo, which you like. Nitrite is used as a preservative in shampoos. A reaction between these two chemicals (on exposure to oxygen and air) and nitrite can form Nitrosamines, which is a cancer causing compound.
Harmful effects of DEA or TEA:
• Can cause liver and kidney damage • Potentially a cancer-causing ingredient
Formaldehyde is a known sensitizer. DMDM hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Quaternium-15, Bronopol are some shampoo ingredients in which it is present.
Harmful effects of Formaldehyde:
• It destroys natural protective oils of the skin and thus causes various skin irritations. • Burning sensations in the eyes • Higher percentage of Formaldehyde may also cause chest pain and shortness of breath. • Longer exposure to this chemical may also cause asthma.
Silicones are used in shampoo to form a thin film on your hair shaft to give a feeling for ‘softness’. Everyone likes the feel of ‘soft hair’ after shampooing right? Well, do check if this softness is coming because of silicones. To find out if a shampoo and conditioner contains silicone or not look at the ingredients on the label. If the ingredients on the label says Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone or silicone, avoid using the products. Remember that Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone are silicone derived emollients. Silicones coat your hair making it look soft and shiny in the short term. However, they slowly start coating hair completely, creating a buildup and effectively sealing off moisture from reaching the cuticle. If you are using silicones shampoo/ conditioner however, be sure to use a clarifying shampoo periodically to prevent their harmful effects.
They are a kind of preservative used in shampoo. Methylparaben, propylparaben, benzylparaben and butylparaben are all parabens which are used in various shampoos.
Harmful effects of Parabens:
• Can cause tumors in breast • Can cause skin irritations, rashes, eczema etc
They are added in shampoos for fragrance. Whenever you see a word ‘synthetic fragrance’ on a shampoo bottle just remember it is this.
Harmful effects of Phthalates:
• Negative effect on immune system • Can cause nausea • Skin rashes • Hormonal disruptions • Liver cancers • Birth defects • Can affect the central nervous system
At Going Coco we say, break up with the norm and switch to our body loving shampoo and conditioning bars instead. Our products are 100% natural, vegan with no hidden nasties. Click here to see our range.